Ben Roethlisberger hopes to return to the Steelers soon

Written by: Matt Sympson

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has come closer and closer to returning to the field after a solid week of practice.

Roethlisberger, who has missed the past three weeks due to a shoulder injury received in a Nov. 12 game against the Kansas City Chiefs, hopes to return to play against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

“I’m getting there,” he told ESPN.com. “I’ve got to talk to (Steelers tight end) Heath Miller. He’s my barometer.”

The Steelers are down to their third-string quarterback Charlie Batch, with second-string quarterback Byron Leftwich out with an injury as well.

Batch, who struggled against the 4-8 Cleveland Browns on Nov. 25, rebounded and helped the Steelers defeat the Baltimore Ravens last weekend, 23-20.

Batch threw for 276 yards against the Ravens, including one touchdown and one interception.

According to ESPN.com, Roethlisberger threw 3 to 4 passes in each practice period.

He said that he experienced a little bit of pain on the field.

“I thought it was a positive day for Ben,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin told ESPN.com. “He threw the ball around both vertically and horizontally. I thought the ball had good velocity.”

Tomlin has not yet named Roethlisberger the Steelers starting quarterback Sunday against the Chargers.

The Steelers offense will take the field on Sunday in hopes that Roethlisberger, and not Batch, will be under center.