Spring forward into a new career at fair

Gabrielle Glandorf

The University of Akron will hold their Spring Career Fair on Thursday, Feb. 21 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Union Ballrooms. According to Alex Toomey, Assistant Director of Employer Relations, this career fair will be the largest to date with 136 employers present and will give students a plethora
of opportunities to make connections.

The Career Fair offers interface with public, private, government and non-profit companies. Among the numerous companies that will be appearing at the fair are Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Goodyear Tire and Rubber, MRI Software, Panther Expedited Services, SGS Tool Company, Sterling Jewelers, Swage Lok, TEKsystems, Total Quality Logistics, Hoover Dirt Devil and Verizon Wireless.

In addition to those companies, there will be plenty of businesses new to the fair, including Girl Scouts, Great Lakes Cheese Company, US Customs and Border Control, Veteran’s Affairs and Pilot Flying J.

“The number one industry that wasn’t represented at the last career fair, and that was requested specifically by students afterwards, was health care organizations,” Toomey said.

This has been remedied by giving students the opportunity to meet with the Cleveland Clinic, Summa, and Stark County Job and Family Services this spring.

To prepare for this event, students should have their resume ready and be professionally dressed. The Career Center in Simmons will be available, as always, for help with resume critiquing and polishing.

In addition, a “tips and hints” information session will be held on Feb. 20 from 3 to 4 p.m. in room 316 of the Student Union to ensure that students have the most successful outcome that they can with this experience.

The Career Fair offers opportunities for internships and part and full-time jobs. It is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, as well as alumni of the university.

“Many students got interviews at the fall career fair, and others met with employers the day after to interview at the Career Center,” Toomey said.

For more information about the Career Center and the Career Fair, visit uakron.edu/career.