Girl About Campus: How to be cool at a concert

Helen Dauka

There’s a thin line between keeping the beat and going into a full on awkward bop-dance.Print

The thin line continues when trying to sing along. Too much and you’re the crazy fangirl. Too little and it looks like you’re pretending to know
the words.

All types are at concerts from the first time listeners to the hardcore fans. No matter where you fall on that spectrum, finding an appropriate middle ground can be challenging.

Of course, the music type and venue are huge factors.

I find it helpful to surround yourself with similarly behaving people. There’s no type of protection like that of a clique.

If you really want to make sure you’re cool and that no one is scoffing at you behind your back, go to see a concert that you don’t even like and stand on the back wall completely uninterested.

If you want to have fun at a concert, there are no rules. If the music is cool, you don’t have to be.

Remember, for a short person it’s rare to find a place with a good eyeshot to the stage if everyone is standing.

But don’t forget, every tall person can probably feel the glaring stares into the back of their heads as they block the views of those of average height.

Be courteous as you elbow your way to the front row; and try not to curse the fan that’s excitedly jumping up and down on your heels.

We jump on our feet for a chance to rise above the rest of the crowd and maybe, for just an instant, meet eye to eye with our favorite band.

We jump on our feet because the music makes us feel too much to simply stand still.

We outstretch our arms to be that much closer to the band.

We outstretch our arms in hopes of making a physical connection to match the emotional connection we’ve had for what feels like forever.

Remember, we’re all just fans in the end. Remember that, and even though you’re in a crowd of strangers, at least you’re surrounded by people you have something in common with.

Unless you only came for the opening act; that’s a different story.