WZIP year ends on high note

Forrest Dukes

The University of Akron’s radio station ended the school year by winning awards and breaking old records.

“WZIP is what I always listen to going home and coming up for classes, work, or whatever I may be doing around the city of Akron,” Julie Wallace, a sophomore studying education, said.

WZIP has earned several awards and now they can add the Signature Station of the Year Award. This award is given by the Broadcast Education Association (BEA) and is a professional association for professors, industry professionals and students who are interested in teaching and research related to electronic media and multimedia enterprises.DSC_0002

According to officials at the station, it has also continued to break their rating records, and once more, the WZIP station end the year with their biggest ratings to date. With this record, WZIP has become one of the most listened to radio stations in the country when it comes to college campus stations.

WZIP is run by students and reaches an audience of not only the UA campus but in the city and surrounding areas of Akron. According to the station, it started in the winter of 1962 and things have changed not only the music, but the name: being renamed to mimic the university’s mascot, Zippy, in 1989.

WZIP also has trained DJs that play on request or just what is on the pop 40 list that day. The DJs check this list twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday to keep track on what the students and locals want to hear from the station.

Students of all majors can join the station, and the application process is fairly easy. By just going to their office located in Kolbe Hall, students can apply and schedule an interview. The School of Communication also offers many classes designed to teach students about the radio and broadcast business.

“You get your money’s worth, as well as what the individual student puts into it,” Kalonna Davis, a senior working at WZIP, said. “We are a community with friendly and helpful people.”