How Not to Drop Out

By Nicholas Summers, Arts & Life Editor

The transition into college is tough for just about everyone, but there is help everywhere to ensure your academic career proceeds and you don’t drop out.

As a freshman, you have probably heard you don’t have to attend all of your classes or that professors don’t take attendance. This is false. Attendance will usually make up about 10% of your grade in any class at UA.

After enough absences, professors will fail you from the course, but they do give students a few free days in case you fall ill.

In a study done at Michigan State University by Mark Urban-Lurain and Donald J. Weinshank states “the strongest predictor of student performance is overall class attendance.” Which goes to show why professors carry out an attendance policy at UA.

Learning new material can be overwhelming, especially in the transition from high school to college. This can lead to students dropping out. Know that there are people all over campus willing to help. Many students don’t know this, but The University of Akron has numerous tutoring labs to assist you in any subject.

The Writing Lab located at the bottom floor of Bierce Library will help you every step of the way when writing a paper. From brainstorming, to the structure of your paper and proofreading your work. The Writing Lab will help with every part of your paper before you turn it in for a grade.

When time is of the essence, there is also E-Tutoring offered through UA’s website. There, you can submit a paper of any subject and receive feedback within a day or two.

Bierce Library, has a Math Lab as well that have flexible hours to meet student’s needs. “I noticed a lot of individuals, who came down consistently, increase their understanding of the math subject and their grades,” UA senior Luke Stanek said. The Math Lab does not require you to make an appointment, so you can just stop in to get assistance. The Tutoring Lab, also in Bierce Library is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Monday to Thursday and 10 am to 1 pm on Friday and available by appointment only.

“Disorganization of issues outside of school are a main reason young students can’t make it to class or do their work and ultimately drop out,” English Professor at UA, Pamela Roeper said.

Between work, social life, and school many students don’t manage their time well and in return fail their classes. Setting priorities and time aside for homework can help students maintain a good standing in the college they are in and avoid dropping out.

“Give yourself more time for work you have to get done because it usually will take longer,” Roeper said.

Another problem seen among college students is alcohol and drug abuse, which can result in dropping out as well. Not only can it affect your academic performance but also lead you into trouble with the law. The Division of Student Affairs does not take underage drinking or drugs lightly and they can dismiss you from the university and/or make you vacate your campus residence.

College should be treated seriously. After all, you pay for it. Use the resources that are provided for you and learn a way for managing your assignments. College is to make a pathway for your success, but like anything worthwhile, it has to be earned with effort. It’s not about faking your abilities, but taking every tedious assignment as an opportunity to get further in life and your college career.