Global Village Festival brings culture to Akron

William Singer

Flags of the nations represented at the festival.

By William Singer, News Editor

The 3rd annual Global Village Festival of Greater Akron brought a multicultural celebration to Akron’s Lock 3 Park on Saturday, Sept. 13.

Vendors from around the area sold ethnic cuisine, handmade goods and displayed their talents in live performances.

The origins of the festival go all the way back to 1916. A time when Akron became a Preferred City of the U.S. Committee of Refugee and Immigrants. Throughout the years, Akron has been home to thousands of multilingual families and individuals from around the world.

“For Akron to become a world class city, we must continue to bring together and celebrate the many, many cultures here and achieve global competence in our community,” said May Chen, one of two people in charge of public relations for the festival.

Several performers took the stage at downtown Akron Lock 3 including African percussionists, traditional Irish dancers, and a Tai Chi demonstration.

The Global Village Festival, also had a UA connection. The University of Akron’s Confucius Institute was one of the event’s sponsors.

The Confucius Institute is supported by the Chinese Ministry of Education and is dedicated to enhancing the understanding of Chinese language and culture around the world.

The Global Village Festival coincides with the start of UA’s Diversity Week which started Monday, Sept. 15.

Diversity Week festivities take place every day of the week including the Global Games on Tuesday, Sept. 16 from 1 to 4 p.m., Mosaic: Women of Color on Wednesday, Sept. 17, from 12 to 1 p.m., Diversity Trivia in the Student Union from 7 to 8 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 18, and Salsa Night Friday, Sept. 19 in the Student Union Ballroom from 11:00 p.m. to 1 a.m.