Operation Evergreen: Sending support to troops overseas

Graphic by Ted Boyer

By Mary C. Barrett, Writer

The University of Akron’s Staff Employee Advisory Committee initiated Operation Evergreen for the first time during the 2013-2014 school year. Operation Evergreen a project that was created by the Ohio Christmas Tree Association. Specializing in sending handmade Christmas ornaments and trees to those serving in the military overseas. Operation Evergreen returns this year, and the entire UA community is encouraged to participate.

Last year, the program was able to collect nearly six hundred handmade ornaments which were then shipped to a local tree farm, Galehouse Tree Farm, then shipped overseas to troops. This gives our troops some holiday cheer.

Spc. Brandie Dube wrote to UA last year, “A special thanks to The University of Akron this Christmas for helping us decorate our tree at Udairi Army Airfield in Kuwait. We are very grateful to have a piece of home here with us overseas, these ornaments brighten our holidays!”

The overseas destination last year was Kuwait, but this year, Operation Evergreen’s target is yet to be determined. Regardless of the destination, the troops greatly appreciate the efforts to make their holidays special.

Those who wish to participate in the program and donate ornaments must follow all of the guidelines. All of the ornaments must be flat and unbreakable in order to be shipped overseas. Although this may seem restricting for those who love to be crafty, there are still many ways to be creative and make fantastic ornaments.

Web developer Anthony W. Serpette, one of the main advisors of Operation Evergreen explained that, “the SEAC would like to increase the amount of handmade ornaments produced this year and see a growth in participation.” He is also hoping to set up a station in the Student Union where students could make ornaments later this month.

Serpette is a great example of someone who has channeled his creativity and makes origami ornaments simply out of paper. You can drop off your finished ornaments at one of the three following locations: Polsky Building 312, Student Union 306, Administrative Services Building 130.