Financial planning day teaches value of money management

Spencer Skolnick

A lecturer at Financial Planning Day gives valuable advice.

By Spencer Skolnick, Writer

Student members of The University of Akron’s Financial Planning Association (FPA) hosted the second annual Financial Planning Day, presenting a chance to learn more about strategies and skills for successful financial planning.

On Saturday, Oct. 4 attendees were educated on different approaches and methods to better their financial planning skills. Akron’s FPA chapter welcomed guest speakers working as Certified Financial Planners, business professionals and financial planning counselors.

The speakers gave presentations to the student, faculty and community members and met one-on-one with anyone interested in more detailed and specific advice.

The student chapter president of FPA, Celestine Preston, along with faculty advisor Suzanne Gradisher noted the overall success of the day compared to last year’s Financial Planning Day.

Tripling the number of attendance this year compared to last, FPA’s goal of raising awareness about financial planning, money management and dealing with loans and debt was met as more and more participants were educated on this topic.

Not only hoping to raise awareness, Gradisher added to their goals and said, “[We’re] trying to educate students and the community about financial planning.”

Attendees acquired information on tips for good financial planning, and students learned about ways to decrease student debt after college. Student attendant Rajvir Kaur said, “[The event taught me] to start thinking about where I spend my money. These types of things really help you; you can talk to people about financing and hear what they have to say.”

Members of FPA were excited about the event and pleased with the turnout. Aside from more knowledge on saving money and managing finances better, attendees received new skills to help them with their future financial endeavors. The speakers brought crucial information to the event, the members of the FPA Akron chapter provided a useful seminar, and those who attended received the benefits provided on this day.

Celebrating Financial Planning Day the right way, the university’s annual event allowed students and members of the community to increase their financial knowledge.