Chasing the Falcons

By Forrest Dukes, Sports Editor

The Zips (4-4) are looking to take the lead in MAC east with a win over the visiting Falcons of Bowling Green State University (5-3).

Bowling Green:

The Falcons are coming off their first loss in conference play to Central Michigan and look to rebound against the Zips. BG’s offense is among the best in the MAC, averaging just under 34 points and 454 yards per game. They are a passing team ranked second in the conference but also run the ball effectively. On defense, the Falcons are in last place among the MAC teams, giving up 542 yards on defense and second to last in scoring defense averaging 36 points in a game. As a team, the offense has lost 15 turnovers while their defense has gained 14 turnovers within the season.

Players to watch:

Quarterback James Knapke has thrown for 10 touchdowns for 1958 yards for a completion percentage of 59 percent. In the rushing game the Falcons have two powerful backs, Travis Greene and Fred Coppet, who combined has 13 touchdowns and over 1000 yards on the ground. Both running backs average over five yards per carry and will need to be stopped by the Akron’s defense. BGSU receiving game is through Roger Lewis, leading the team with 706 yards and three touchdowns, along with Ronnie Moore with 491 yards and four touchdown receptions. On defense, Gabe Martin leads the Falcons with 71 tackles and Bryan Thomas has 19 tackles but leads the defense with 4.5 sacks and three force fumbles.

Akron:

The Zips comes into this game on a two game losing streak and have under performed within those two losses through turnovers and lack of productions during the second half, something that they can’t afford to let happen during the matchup. The Zip’s offense averages 23 points per game on 382 yards. While the defense has conference leads in statistical categories like scoring defense (20.2), sacks (21) and pass efficiency defense (115.5).

Players to watch:

The Zips have two quarterbacks that could get the start against BG, first, Kyle Pohl, who has thrown for 119-of-210 for 1,289 yards and seven touchdowns. Pohl has been recovering from an injury that happened a few weeks ago. Since then, Woodson has been under center where for the season he is 72-of-137 for 773 yards and five touchdowns. The running tandem of Conor Hundley and Jawon Chisholm combine for 670 yards and six touchdowns. Akron’s top receivers are Zach D’Orazio (455 yards 2 tds), L.T. Smith (341 yards 4 tds), and lastly Mykel Traylor-Bennett (256 yards 4 tds).

On defense, Akron has four players who have at least 30 tackles including Jatavis Brown (62), C.J. Mizell (49), Justin March (40) and Bre’ Ford (32). This defense also has 16 turnovers, with Ford leading in interceptions with two and Mizell leading with two fumble recoveries. On the special teams, junior place kicker, Robert Stein, has been perfect (7-7) in kicking field goals with his longest being 45 yard out and junior punter, Zach Paul, averages 44.9 yards per punt making them among the best in the country.

Tuesday, Nov. 4 head to the football game at InfoCision Stadium get a free black shirt for the blackout, have a chance to win free tuition and cheer on your Zips to first place in the MAC east. Kick off for the game starts at 8 p.m. with a tailgate for students happening behind the Spicer Residence Hall beginning at 4 p.m.