Shots fired while records fall

The University of Akron’s rifle team during their meet against the University of Science in Philadelphia.

GoZips

By Marling Engle, Rifle Writer

Akron Rifle Team re-writing the Zips record book this weekend with win over USP.

The University of Sciences in Philadelphia was dominated by The University of Akron as Akron shot 4633 to USP’s 3950. Additionally, for the third time this season, Akron raised the bar again establishing 4633 as the new team record. Breaking the old record of 4615 that the team just shot a few weeks ago against a Navy team and in a loss to the Wildcats of The University of Kentucky.

“We know it is a long drive and we shoot on paper, but for some odd reason, we always fire great scores at this range,” said head coach Newt Engle.

In smallbore, Akron once again broke another team record from last week’s competition against WVU where they fired 2297, but against USP they set the new bar at 2310 out of a possible 2400. Junior Matt Chezem earned top gun and led the Zips with a 583. Tied for second with like scores of 578 was junior Tim Hopkins and freshman Julia Hatch.

“The team has really been working hard and this is the result.  A smallbore score like 2310 is a really big deal in our sport,” Engle said.

Air rifle improved at this match with Akron capturing the top three slots. Chezem and sophomore Zach Strohl lead the Zips with impressive pair score of 585, as well as, Megan Pemberton who shot a 584.

Click here for the rifle graphic during their match.

Next, Akron will host the Annual Zippy Open rifle tournament the weekends of Saturday, Nov. 8 and Saturday, Nov. 15. At the tournament Akron will host the Morehead Eagles on Nov. 8, and the Memphis Tigers on the Sunday, Nov. 9. Both matches will begin at 8 a.m.