Women’s basketball ready to score

GoZips

Anita Brown taking the ball up the court against KSU.

By Forrest Dukes, Sports Editor

Women’s basketball is ready to tip off the 2014-2015 season with the Akron Classic.

The Akron Classic brings four teams to compete in a weekend full of excitement, shots, and fun to begin their season. The teams who will be competing are Binghamton, Delaware State and Northern Kentucky.

The Zips looked great in their warm up against Ursuline College with a 100-62 final. During this game they collected 53 rebounds and shot 43.7 percent from the field. Sina King looked healthy in her debut back to the court earning 19 points and nine rebounds.

This will be the second time the Zips will face the Bearcats of Binghamton and will look to get another victory in this young series.

Key players:

For Akron: King, Anita Brown and Hannah Plybon combined for 43 points in their exhibition game. These players are ready to defend the title and make another run to the NCAA postseason.

For Binghamton: Stephanie Jensen, Jasbriell Swain, Kandace Newry and Kara Elofson all contributed in their exhibition match against Mansfield where they won 70-45. The Bearcats are trying to start the season off right after their 5-24 season last year.

For Northern Kentucky: Coming back to the Norse is Melody Doss, Kelley Wiegman, and the Roush twins, Christine and Courtney. NIU went 18-13 last year and 13-5 in their conference the Atlantic Sun. This game will be Saturday, Nov. 15 at 3:30 p.m.

Students, head to James A. Rhodes Arena at 6 p.m. and cheer on your Zips to another record-breaking season.