Basketball star Treadwell suspended, under investigation

Graphic by Michael Schwartz

Treadwell tweeted roughly four hours after the incident reportedly took place.

By William Singer, News Editor

Men’s basketball star forward Demetrius “Tree” Treadwell has been accused of assault on women’s basketball star Sina King. Treadwell has been suspended indefinitely by the university for violating the student-athlete code of conduct and an investigation is still underway.

A report filed with The University of Akron Police Department Saturday, Nov. 15 indicated that King was the victim of an assault and that Treadwell was the aggressor. UAPD was notified of the incident in a meeting with Athletics Director Tom Wistrcill which took place that same day.

Treadwell has not been arrested in connection to the report filed with UAPD.

Junior forward Katie Nunan, lives with King and was present at the time of the incident and provided a written statement included in the initial police report.

The report also contains photos of text messages from the time of the incident and of injuries suffered by King.

About four hours after the incident reportedly took place, Treadwell tweeted “Everything happens for a reason,” a saying identical to one found in King’s Twitter bio.

The 6-foot-7 Treadwell played in UA’s victory over the University of Maryland, Baltimore County Retrievers on Friday, Nov. 14 and recorded 10 points, 13 rebounds and three assists in 28 minutes of action.

King, who missed all of last season due to medical issues, posted 17 points, two rebounds and two assists in 27 minutes in UA’s game against the Northern Kentucky Norse on Saturday, Nov. 15.

The men’s basketball team’s next game is Thursday, Nov. 20 against Southern California. The women’s basketball team plays Northern Iowa tonight.