Zips tie up the MAC

GoZips

Reggie McAdams taking a three point shot during their win against BGSU.

By Haley Gaines, Sports Writer

Last week, the men’s basketball team went 2-0, beating Bowling Green on Wednesday and Central Michigan on Saturday. After a week of wins, Reggie McAdams received the honor of being named Zips’ Student Athlete of the Week due to his stellar performances in the two wins.

In the two wins, McAdams averaged 15.5 points per game and 4.5 rebounds while shooting 76.9 percent from the field. Previous to Saturday’s game versus Central Michigan, McAdams had a career high of 20 points. He completed the game with 31 points, going 6-9 from behind the arc en route to an 82-76 win.

This week’s matchups will be pivotal for the Zips as five teams are tied with a 3-1 record in MAC play. Look for the Zips to gain ground on the road for position in the MAC.

First up, the Zips will travel to Illinois this week to take on the Huskies of Northern Illinois on Wednesday, a game televised on ESPN3 at 8pm. The Huskies enter the week with a record of 7-8, 1-3 in conference play. Akron will need to keep an eye out for Darrell Bowie, this season’s current leading scorer with 12.5 points per game. He also sits as the second highest rebounder per game with an average of 6.8. Aaric Armstead averages 11.2 points per game and Jordan Threloff averages 7.7 rebounds per game.

On Saturday, UA will face Western Michigan in Michigan at 2:00. The Bronco’s David Brown received the honor of being named the MAC West Defensive Player of the Week on January 19. He leads the team in points per game with 15.5 while averaging 21.5 during MAC play which makes him a threat on Saturday!