ZPN hosts picture-perfect Valentines Day event

Kristina Aiad-Toss

UA student Cat Fisher preparing to take a photograph.

By Kristina Aiad-Toss, News Writer

This Valentines Day—instead of going on a romantic date with a significant other—ZPN is encouraging students to fall in love with their passions through pictures.

ZPN is sponsoring a Valentines Day photography contest showcasing students’ pictures of subjects they love. The photos will be displayed Friday, Feb. 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the piano lounge in the Student Union, where students can vote on their favorites to determine the winner. The first place winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card and the second place winner will receive a 32 GB Sandisk Ultra Memory Card.

ZPN has conducted many self-expressive events and contests in the past, but this is the first time for a Valentines Day photography contest. This event encourages all students to get excited about their passions and the people they love for Valentines Day.

“This event was planned specifically to show students that being single on Valentines Day is okay,” said Ashlee Fields, Fine Arts, Film and Lecture Chair for ZPN.

ZPN stresses that Valentines Day should not only be about whom people love, but also the subjects and activities that fascinate them.

With apps that incorporate photography—like Snapchat and Instagram—becoming increasingly popular, Fields organized this event to include a form of art that students now use with social media.

“By promoting the arts, this event will help students think of photography more seriously than taking selfies and sending Snapchats,” Fields said. “They should start taking photos of what they love and who they are.”

Fields also hopes to encourage student participation in the arts on UA’s campus by an event that promotes creativity and self-expression through photography. All submissions are being accepted until Thursday, Feb. 12 at 9 a.m. Photos can be turned in at the ZPN office located on the first floor of the Student Union.