Women taught self-defense

By Sofia Syed, Arts & Life Editor

A women’s self-defense class was offered in UA’s Student Recreation and Wellness Center on Tuesday, Feb. 24 to teach women various ways to protect themselves if a situation ever arises.

The demonstration was led by Lt. Chad Cunningham, who has been offering this class for more than 10 years, alongside with UA officer Todd Myers.

“The purpose of the class is to get out of a bad situation. That is the goal, to find safety and security as soon as possible, and not stay and fight,” Myers said.

This class taught multiple techniques that showed women how to use their voice and body to get away from an attacker. Some of these included verbal techniques and maneuvers that can help women get away or get out of someone’s grasp.

UA student Elizabeth Mygrant took this to class to “feel more safe when I’m by myself or if I’m out late at night,” Mygrant said.

“This can benefit anyone to have a sense of security when you’re out and about, wherever you are. You’re able to have some skills and basic knowledge in what to do; [it’s] useful for anybody,” Myers said.

As a part of women’s fitness week, held by the SRWC, there will be another self-defense class on March 3 from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and again from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

This class is also offered at various times throughout the semester. For more information contact Lt. Cunningham at 330-972-8910.