Open spot for student trustee position

By Ian Vanek, News Writer

Applications are now being accepted for a student trustee position on UA’s Board of Trustees. Student trustees hold critical positions at UA.

“The primary goals of a student trustee are to incorporate student voice and insight into board discussions,” said Chelsi King, president of UA’s Undergraduate Student Government.

Applicants for student trustee must be an undergraduate, graduate, or law student who is able to fulfill a two-year trustee term before graduating.

Currently, UA has eight board members and two accompanying student trustees. The two student trustees are Garrett Dowd and Matthew Hull.

“A student trustee should be comfortable in a role that requires a high level of professionalism and leadership,” Dowd said. “We encourage students to apply with leadership and professional experience.”

Time commitment is an important consideration for those who have a busy schedule.

Dowd said that, from his experience, some weeks require 30 or more hours of work while other weeks require little time commitments; however, a certain number of meetings must be attended, according to Ohio’s laws.

Dowd added that the best candidates understand the position is what they make of it and that the amount of professional development and high-level business experience that the position offers is unrivaled; the opportunities available to student trustees during their terms often exceed expectations.

Dowd advised students interested in the position to stay current on higher educational issues and problems around and on UA’s campus.

“I have learned more through this position than through anything else in my life. I would not trade my experience as a student trustee for anything else,” Dowd said.

An application, resume, and letter of intent stating the reasons for seeking the position are due to the USG office in the Union room 307a by 5 p.m. on March 20.