Undergraduate, graduate research symposium

By Kait Erdman, Writer

Every year, The University of Akron Student Innovation Symposium is held as a showcase event for undergraduate and graduate students to present their research to the UA community and industry leaders. This year, UASIS is on Thursday, April 9, on the third floor of the Union.

Students will present work from numerous academic areas including: “arts, mathematics, business, social sciences, education, humanities, physical and life sciences, nursing, and engineering,” according to UA’s website. Over 300 participants will be involved in UASIS this year.

UASIS aims to provide an opportunity for students of any discipline to demonstrate creativity, scholarly excellence, initiative, communication skills, academic and professional development, and more, according to UA’s website.

Heather Burton, director of Graduate Student Development and chair of the 2015 symposium, said UASIS is a “leverage builder” for students once they leave UA.

“We try to incorporate students in all aspects; from volunteering, moderating, to being showcased at the award luncheons,” Burton said.

Demonstrations will be judged and presenters will gain feedback on their work and research. An awards luncheon will be held to present select students with the Outstanding Student Research Award. There is also an award to recognize a special faculty member as the Faculty Mentor of the Year.

“The Symposium is an opportunity for students to showcase their research and, in regard to student success, it allows [them] to be competitive not only in the job market but also [with] graduate school programs,” Burton said.

The 2015 UASIS Committee includes Mark Tausig, associate dean of the Graduate School, and Symphonie Smith, Amy Moore, and Megan Flinta, graduate assistants of Graduate Student Development.

For more information about the 2015 UASIS, such as the presentation schedule and presenter information, visit <http://www.uakron.edu/gradsch/uasis/>.