Run off the end of semester stresses

By Keirsten Heckel, Student Writer

A common misconception among critics of running is that in order for you to be a runner one must be tall, lean, and able to run a 6-minute mile, when that is not at all the case. Anyone can be a runner if they want to.

I run four days a week at 6 miles per run. I am not tall, nor am I a hundred pounds, and I generally run a 9-minute mile, but I still am able to enjoy all the perks that running has to offer.

Running is an invigorating and empowering exercise and can leave one with a feeling that they may have never experienced before. When running one can experience a sense of accomplishment. Running can make one feel more confident than anything they have ever done. With perseverance and dedication one can improve the more you do it. Running allows ones mind to free from the thoughts of daily life. Personally, when I run I realize what is really important in life.

You don’t have to start out piling on the miles either. Start at a slow pace and build your way up. Start out going one mile for a consistent amount of times per week that works with your schedule. The important part is not to stop. You can go as slow as you need to, but just make sure you keep running. Then once you are comfortable with that mileage work your way up by increasing a mile at a time or even a half a mile if that fits your abilities better.

In order to enjoy running, it takes dedication and hard work. You need to be able to push yourself to go that extra mile or to stay on track with your running schedule. It will be hard at first if you have never run before but, once you make it a habit, it will be second nature to you.

It can help to grab a friend to get motivated, make a playlist of all those favorite songs and find a beautiful path that will make you never want to enjoy your run. Set a goal for yourself. Personally, my goal is to reach a half marathon. Currently, I am at 6 miles and I am slowly working my way up.

If you set a goal, it will give you more motivation to work towards it. A lot of races these days give out finisher’s medals. Although this is just one of the perks one can receive for running and is another great incentive to complete your goal.

Running is a beautiful experience and it can help find that happiness we all have. Don’t take the human body for granted. It is capable of incredible things that people might not even realize yet. So, take the risk. Get out on the road and be ready to fill the mind, body, and soul with bliss.