First Lady, King James: Better make room for higher education

By Tyeal Howell, [email protected]

The First Lady and The King teamed up to discuss the importance of higher education at The University of Akron yesterday in the James A. Rhodes Arena.

“LeBron might be your hero, but you should know that you all are his heroes too,” Michelle Obama said, hoping to inspire students of the LeBron James Family Foundation. She encouraged them to strive for their goals as she and James have done as well.

“Whenever I step out of my house, I represent you guys and I hold that responsibility very seriously,” James added.

After the recent announcement of the UA tuition scholarship opportunity for all students of The Lebron James Family Foundation, James has continued his work with UA. A new commercial spot featuring James and some of his foundation’s students was released on Twitter after President Scarborough’s State of the University Address on Tuesday, October 20.

“You can truly become whoever and whatever you want to be,” encouraged Mrs. Obama.

The First Lady’s Reach Higher initiative correlates with The Lebron James Family Foundation scholarship opportunity by helping 14- to 19-year-olds to continue their education past high school and create a better future for themselves.

As part of the Reach Higher initiative, the public awareness campaign #BetterMakeRoom uses actors, actresses, athletes and vine celebrities to discuss the possibility of a better education.

During the event, Mrs. Obama asked students to visit the website BetterMakeRoom.org and share their stories and dreams with others. She insisted the students discuss their goals and aspirations with their friends to continue the conversation of a better education.

Terrence Howard, Wale and Ciara are just a few of the celebrities on board with the Better Make Room campaign to inspire the next generation of leaders, including the students of The LeBron James Family Foundation.

Follow the story by searching #BetterMakeRoom on Twitter and visiting BetterMakeRoom.org.

To view the new commercial spot for UA featuring Lebron James, visit AreYouOutThere.com