Veterans commemorated on campus

Kristina Aiad-Toss

Left to right: William Lairson, Brian Bursley, Charleza Gourdon, and Zachary Gould.The senior student leaders of UA’s ROTC program stand in front of Buchtel Hall following the Veteran’s Day ceremony.

By Samantha Hickey and Sofia Syed

Veterans Day originated as a U.S. holiday to honor Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, which is the day World War I ended. Veterans Day is a day to remember and pay respect to all the men and women who lost their lives while serving our country and to celebrate those who are still alive.

The University of Akron and Army ROTC paid tribute to those who currently serve and those who have served on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2015.

“Veterans Day is important to me because it is imperative to recognize the selfless service of the men and women who have valiantly answered the call to serve our great nation,” Army ROTC Cadet Eric Wasek said. “It is through their intrepid acts that we, as citizens, can pursue the ideals of freedom and the pursuit of happiness set forth by our founding fathers. Our veterans have and continue to preserve the prosperity of this great nation, and their admirable acts deserve honorable recognition.”

UA’s Army ROTC began the day of events by serving a breakfast in the Student Union for veterans, followed by a ceremony where Representative Tim Ryan addressed those in attendance.

The ceremony then continued on to the Buchtel Hall flagpole, accompanied by a 21-gun salute by ROTC cadets. UA’s ROTC hosted retired Marine Capt. Charles McIntosh to speak to those in attendance. McIntosh served close to 13 years in the Navy and Marine Corps, and was deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. He also is a Purple Heart recipient and a two-time winner of both the Combat Action Ribbon and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal. He has received many other honors as well.

Wasek said his favorite aspect of the Veterans Day ceremony was listening to the stories of local veterans.

“Through their stories, my fellow cadets and I are inspired not just to serve our great nation, but to make a difference in our communities in order to uphold the honor that our veterans have demonstrated with their service and to continue to safeguard our freedoms so that future generations may prosper,” Wasek said.

Festivities then carried to the Musson Veterans Lounge in InfoCision Stadium to celebrate the seventh annual “Honoring Those Who Serve Celebration.” Students, faculty and staff who are veterans, military servicemembers and their families, and specifically invited guests gathered to celebrate and honor those who currently or have served in the military.

During the celebration at InfoCision, veterans could also attend a Veterans Resource Fair, where they could learn useful information.

Additionally, there will be a Veteran Career and Community Job Fair with almost 90 employers on Nov. 12 at Quaker Station from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Veterans only are invited to attend the career fair from 10 a.m. until 11 a.m. All job seekers are invited from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.

Representatives from UA’s Military Services Center, Military Veterans Association, American Legion Post 808, and the Corps of Cadets will be available at the career fair as well.

The “Honoring Those Who Serve Celebration” and the Veterans Resource Fair was sponsored by The Military Services Center, Military Veterans Association, Veterans Steering Committee and American Legion Post 808.

The job fair is sponsored by UA, Ohio Means Jobs, Akron Beacon Journal, and the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family services.

For more information about veteran services at UA visit, www.uakron.edu/veterans.