Exceptional people honored with LIFE awards

By Grant Morgan, Managing Editor

Many exceptional students, staff and faculty members were recognized with 2016 UA LIFE awards last Wednesday evening, April 20, at a large ceremony in the Student Union ballrooms.

LIFE stands for legacy, integrity, fellowship and excellence; multiple awards with different titles and meanings were given out under each of these four categories throughout the evening. (Check out the full list of recipients here.)

The award recipients did not always know in advance whether they would receive them. To some, it was a great surprise.

Zach Michael, a junior studying education, had a successful showing. He represented Zips for Akron Hope, which won the exceptional civic engagement award for organizations; was recognized with a 50-hour community service certificate; and received a leadership award from UA Leads.  

“I was walking back to my seat and I heard [the speaker] talking about a few things and I was like, I think they’re talking about my organization,” Michaels said, adding that this award was that for which he was most proud.

Two students from UA’s chapter of Mortar Board, a national honors society for seniors, were part of the committee that chose the “Mortar Board Pioneer Award” which fell under the category of integrity.

“It wasn’t difficult,” said Morgan Torcasil, a senior biochemistry major on Mortar Board’s executive board. “Someone actually suggested our winner and we all knew him and we said, Wow, we can’t think of anyone more perfect.” David Vale, UA’s assistant director of campus programs, won that award.

More information about the LIFE awards, their history, and recipients, can be found on the website here: goo.gl/oKzJMo.