Women’s soccer falls to UC Riverside, 3-0

By Jake Allen, Sports Editor

The University of Akron women’s soccer team fell 3-0 to the University of California, Riverside Highlanders on Sunday afternoon. The loss drops Akron to 3-4 on the season while UC Riverside improves to 2-2-3. The loss snapped a short two-game winning streak for the Zips.

After a scoreless first half at FirstEnergy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field, the Highlanders scored three times in the second half. In the 60th minute Blanca Barrio found the back of the net for her first goal of the season. Madeline Feist and Quinley Quezada would also each beat Akron goalkeeper Annabelle Hegeman before the final whistle.

Hegeman finished with three saves on the night. UC Riverside’s Annie Bailey stole the show in her first action of the season, stopping all seven of the Zips’ shots on goal. Senior midfielder Abby Gindlesberger led the Zips with three shots, each of which was stopped by Bailey.

Following a hat-trick last Thursday against Robert Morris University, freshman forward Chloe Allen was held to zero shots against UC Riverside. Allen leads the team in goals with five on the season.

The Zips will have to wait until Friday to get back on the pitch when they travel to Pittsburgh to play the Duquesne University Dukes at 7 p.m.