Men’s soccer posts 7-0 victory over NIU

By Jackson Cline, [email protected]

The University of Akron men’s soccer team (7-4-1) had its most dominant victory of the season Saturday, defeating Northern Illinois University by a score of 7-0. This victory also moved the Zips to first place in the MAC Conference with a record of 2-0.

The Zips scored early and often. Their first goal came at the three-minute mark when junior Sam Gainford put away his first goal of the season off an assist from freshman Skye Harter. Gainford would net his second goal of the match, and season, in the 27th minute when he scored another goal assisted by junior Stuart Holthusen.

It was a night of firsts for Akron, as four different players would go on to register their first career goals. Junior Manuel Cordeiro and junior Robby Dambrot would both net their first ever collegiate goals before the half ended, giving the Zips a 4-0 lead at the half.

The Zips would continue their scoring ways in the second half. Brad Ruhaak would net his third goal of the season just over three minutes into the second half off an assist from  junior Pau Belana. Two other Zips would then register their first career goal, as freshman Niko De Vera and freshman Reggie Laryea would both score to put the game away for the Zips, 7-0.

The shutout was the Zips seventh of the season as sophomore goalkeeper Ben Lundt helped the Zips stay scoreless until the 80th minute, after which redshirt-freshman Nick Costa made his collegiate debut as a substitute keeper. Costa took care of goalkeeping duties for the final 10 minutes, preserving the shutout.

The Zips are back in action Tuesday, Oct. 17 as they travel to Penn State to take on the Nittany Lions. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. and the game will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network.