Sports Preview (10-20-16)

By Jake Allen, Sports Editor

Men’s Soccer-

The University of Akron men’s soccer team will host another major Division One school on Saturday when it hosts conference foe West Virginia at 7:30 p.m., at FirstEnergy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field in Akron.

The Zips enter the game with a 7-4-2 record, and they are 2-0 in conference play.

The Zips are coming off a 2-2 tie against Penn State on Tuesday. Stuart Holthusen, one of the team’s top scorers from last season, scored his first two goals of the season in the game. Holthusen has been injured for most of the season, and started just his fourth game on Tuesday.

Adam Najem still leads the team with five goals, while freshman Skye Harter and senior Brad Ruhaak each have three. Freshman Jonathan Lewis leads the team with six assists. Goalkeeper Ben Lundt has been spectacular this season, making 42 saves on 58 shots.

The Zips aren’t done with big schools after this, as they travel to Columbus on Oct. 26 to play the Ohio State Buckeyes. Including the West Virginia game, the Zips have just five games left in the regular season.

Women’s Soccer

The University of Akron women’s soccer team will wrap up the home part of its schedule this weekend while it looks to record its first conference win of the season.

First, the Zips will host the Central Michigan Chippewas on Thursday at 7 p.m. Then, on Sunday, Akron hosts the Eastern Michigan Eagles at 1 p.m.

Freshman goalkeeper Samara Yurchak has started her Zips’ career perfectly so far, allowing zero goals in 120 minutes of play in parts of two games. It will be interesting to see if Yurchak gets the starting nod again on Thursday.

The Chippewas have been excellent this year. They enter this game with a 13-1-2 record overall and 5-1-2 record in the Mid-American Conference. The Eagles have been less successful, going 3-4-1 in conference play and 5-8-3 overall.

The Zips have just one game after this weekend, when they travel to Buffalo next Thursday at 12 p.m.

Volleyball

The struggling Zips volleyball team will host a pair of MAC opponents this weekend as it tries to win its first conference matches of the season.

On Friday at 7 p.m. the Zips will host the Eastern Michigan Eagles, then play the Central Michigan Chippewas on Saturday at 5 p.m.

The Zips are just 5-15 this season, and they have lost all eight conference games this season. Also, the Zips are just 1-6 on their home court.

The Eagles are 7-14, while the Chippewas have a record of 8-12. Each team has a conference record of 2-6.

These are the last two games before the Zips get another shot against rival Kent State, which will be played next Friday at 7 p.m. in Akron.