Coming up short on the road

Karley Kusan setting up her teammates for a point.

GoZips

By Haley Gaines, Sports Writer

The University of Akron’s women’s volleyball team (7-12) competed against Kent State University on Friday, Oct. 3. Unfortunately, the Zips came up short as Kent State won three sets to one.
Kent State came out strong by winning the first set 25-18, but Akron fought back in the second, winning by a score of 25-19. The Flashes edged Akron for the third and fourth sets, only winning by two and three points. Kent came away with the fourth set after being tied at 21, due Akron errors.
Senior Mary Delich, who was named the Zips Student-Athlete of the Week on September 29, continued to prove her offensive dominance by recording 10 kills to hit .318 for the match. Karley Kusan helped on the offensive end by tallying 38 assists.
The Zips played their second MAC game of the weekend on Saturday when they traveled to Athens, Ohio to take on Ohio University (11-4). Coach Arenz mentioned the intensity OU would bring due to their positive reputation as one of the best teams in the conference, and the Bobcats did not disappoint, taking the match three sets to none.
Akron did not score more than fourteen points in any of the three sets due to their twenty-one hitting errors and nine receiving errors. Regardless of the difficulty of the evening, Kusan posted 14 assists while Callie Mack tied a match high with 12 digs. OU saw a strong performance from their MAC East Division Player of the Week Abby Gilleland who accounted for 31 assists on the night.
Akron returns to action at home on Thursday night when they face University of Buffalo at 7 p.m. and Toledo on Saturday at 5 p.m. for alumni night.