Sports Around Campus

By Terry Rabbitts, Sports Editor

Women’s Volleyball

Fresh off their victories against Navy (3-0), St. Francis University (Pa.) (3-0), and Canisius University (3-1) in the Akron Invitational, the Zips head to the Holiday Inn Invitational in Dayton. This weekend’s matchups will include matches against Wright State University and a rematch with St. Francis (Pa.). Dragana Micic and Madi Baer were named to the all-tournament team for their weekend performances while Kelsey Wilson was named tournament MVP. The team, 4-3 to start its season, is led by first year coach, Tom Hanna.

Women’s Soccer

The Zips look to rebound from their first loss of the season last Sunday to Cornell University (2-0) this Sunday at 1 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium-Cub Cadet Field, as they host the University of Pittsburgh. The team (3-1-1) is having their best five-game start to a season since 2008. Katie George leads the Zips on the young season with 4 goals, which also puts her tied for 11th place in goal scoring in the NCAA.

“It was our fourth game in eight days with three of the four games on the road. It may have taken a toll a bit, but we will take a couple of days to rest up and look to move on,” said coach Noreen Herlihy after last Sunday’s loss.

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country

Both teams are set to open up their season with the 47th annual Tommy Evans Invitational at Firestone Metro Park today. The women’s 5K race will begin the competition at 5:30 p.m. followed by the men’s four-mile race at 6:15 p.m. Joining Akron in the field will be Kent State University, Malone University and Youngstown State University.

Women’s Golf

The ladies look to kick off their 2015 fall schedule this weekend by traveling to East Lansing, Michigan and taking part in the Mary Fossum Invitational at the Forest Akers West Golf Course. Coach Jenny King enters her eighth season at UA and continues her work in the program that she started building in 2007. During the 2014-15 campaign, the Zips posted seven top-10 finishes in 10 events.

Men’s Golf

The men travel south to open up their season this weekend at the Invitational at The Ocean Course in Kiawah, South Carolina. This event is held on The Ocean Course, home of the 2012 and 2021 PGA Championships. The Zips return seven letterwinners and one non-letterwinner from last year. Akron will be led by seniors Louis Birchall and Ryan Harris, and juniors Zach Gollwitzer, Chandler Morgan, Yann Pfeiffer and J.B. Williams.