Academic All-MAC team announced

By Terry Rabbitts, Sports Editor

With the fall athletic season starting to wind down, it is time for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) to start announcing the year-end awards.

Recently, the MAC released the 2015 Academic All-MAC selections for soccer and cross country. To qualify for the Academic All-MAC Teams, a student-athlete must have at least a 3.20 cumulative GPA, and have participated in at least 50 percent of the contests scheduled or completed in the particular sport.

Soccer

The University of Akron men’s soccer squad earned a league-best 13 selections when the Mid-American Conference released its 2015 Men’s Soccer Academic All-MAC team.

Altogether, 49 student-athletes from all six men’s soccer conference institutions were honored. Those from UA included seniors Jake Fenlason, Sean Sepe, and Andrew Souders; juniors Adam Najem and Victor Souto; redshirt juniors Danilo Radjen and Brad Ruhaak; sophomores Jesse Garcia-Aguilar, Anthony Macchione, and Nate Shultz; redshirt sophomores Robby Dambrot and Tyler Sanda; and redshirt freshman Ezana Kahsay.

For the women, all 12 MAC schools were represented by 126 students, including eight Zips: seniors Jenna Andersen, Katie George, and Holly Ohradzansky; juniors Abby Gindlesberger, Karin Norman, Sarah Sivic, and Hannah Werth; and sophomore Sydney Schipani.

“These young women epitomize what it means to be a true student-athlete,” said head coach Noreen Herlihy. “With the rigors of college athletics, and in such demanding academic majors, it shows how committed they are to their studies. They lead by example not just on the field but also in the classroom.”

Cross Country

The University of Akron men’s and women’s cross country teams had 10 student-athletes gain honors when the Mid-American Conference (MAC) announced its 2015 Cross Country Academic All-MAC teams.

On the men’s side, 48 students from nine schools were honored, which included six Zips: Seniors Kyle Cochrun, Aaron Howkins, and Trevor Norris were named along with juniors Clayton Murphy and Dan Zupan, as well as sophomore Eric McCabe.

For the women’s selections, 65 students from all 12 MAC schools were honored, among them four Zips: senior Jillian Roth, redshirt junior Karlie Lieberth, and redshirt sophomores Tara Snipes and Sarah Kupniewski were named to the team.