Rubber City Clothing: Hidden Gem of Akron 10-04-16

18 N. High Street

Michelle DeShon

A glimpse at some of the merchandise at Rubber City Clothing.

By Michelle DeShon, Opinion Editor

While it may be more well known than some of my previous Hidden Gems, Rubber City Clothing should be a go-to for any Akronite, native or new, who needs some Akron-proud gear in their wardrobe. For those who may not be familiar with Akron’s history, this city was the “Rubber Capital of the World” with Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, General Tire and Rubber Company, and Goodrich Corporation all headquartered in the city.

Since 2004, Rubber City Clothing has been providing our city with fun, Akron-themed clothing. They have all the Akron gear imaginable: T-shirts, mugs, glasses, bottle openers, stickers, pins, hats, baby apparel, ties, books, postcards, prints, and more.

They are most famous for their customizable T-shirts. The process is simple: choose your logo or multiple logos (think blimp logo on the front and a small Rubber City Clothing logo on the sleeve or back of the shoulder), and then select your clothing item, whether it’s a T-shirt or a baby onesie. It only takes a few minutes to make, so you can be out the door with your new gear quickly.

This shop had a line out the door when the Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA Championship with their “Just a kid from Akron” logo that can be placed on any T-shirt. They still have a variety of Cavs logos available. They have partnered with sports teams, bands, and restaurants to bring us even more personalized designs.

Students at The University of Akron should go here if they want a UA T-shirt that is unlike the rest. Stand out in the crowd with a shirt that reads, “Harvard on the Cuyahoga” or “Made in Akron.”

Show your love of Akron while sipping a cup of coffee in the morning with a bold blimp logo on the mug. And if you ever need a glass with Don Plusquellic’s little orange face on it or a formal tie with rubber tires, this is your place.

Hours of operation

Monday – Wednesday 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Thursday – Saturday 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Sunday 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.