Players of the week (10-6-16)

By Jake Allen, Sports Editor

Ulysees Gilbert

Football

Sophomore

Linebacker

The Zips’ first-year starter had the best game of his career Saturday at Kent, setting career-highs in tackles (16), while recording three tackles for loss and his second career sack. Gilbert leads a young defense with 55 tackles and seven tackles for loss, while he ranks tied for the team leader in sacks and defensive touchdowns (one).

Danielle Nicholson

Women’s Golf

Sophomore

Nicholson came in second place in the Johnie Imes Invitational on Tuesday in Columbia, Missouri. Nicholson finished three strokes under par, which tied her with Loy Hee Ying of Eastern Tennessee State University. Kennesaw State’s Medy Thavong finished first, two strokes ahead of Nicholson. The first and third round saw Nicholson finish at par, but the second round she excelled by shooting a 69. Nicholson was the only Zip within the top-45 golfers at the Invitational.

Ashley Amato

Women’s Soccer

Freshman

The Zips’ freshman defender scored her second career goal in Friday’s tie versus Toledo with just 21 seconds left in regulation. Amato then came back with her third goal of the season in Sunday’s loss to Bowling Green with just over seven minutes left to play, but Akron couldn’t come back to tie the game. Amato is second on the team with three goals, behind fellow freshman Chloe Allen (five).

Van Edwards

Football

Sophomore

Running back

With starting running back Warren Ball still out due to injury, the Zips have rotated Edwards and Manny Morgan to carry the ball. Each has played well, but Edwards played his best game as a Zip on Saturday. He set a career-high with 227 all-purpose yards (44 rushing, 27 receiving, and 156 return) with a big touchdown reception. The touchdown helped the Zips get back in the game as they came from behind to win the Wagon Wheel against rival Kent State.