Why I Write for The Buchtelite

Members of the Editorial Board explain why they write for The University of Akron's student newspaper.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why I Write for The Buchtelite

From left to right: Sala Wier, Brooklyn Dennison, Megan Parker, Amanda Piekarz and Jake Herron discuss plans and ideas for the April Special Edition of The Buchtelite.

Kristen Lauck

Kristen Lauck

Kristen Lauck

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be the “voice” of The University of Akron? Our editors describe why they write for The Buchtelite and how they became a part of that voice.

Brooklyn Dennison
Editor-in-Chief

Journalism allows the community to have a voice when they would otherwise be left unheard. Too often, students that should be celebrated, opinions that should be listened to, and events that should be enjoyed are forgotten due to a lack of resources to communicate. I write for The Buchtelite because I don’t want students to lack a voice, and thus, lack an impact on the community.

Jake Herron
Online Editor

It’s crazy. If you told me a few years ago that I’d be doing professional writing of any kind, I probably would’ve laughed it off because I never saw myself as a writer. I used to pick up copies of The Buchtelite all the time, back when the paper printed regularly. Of course, I was disappointed when the paper went away for a while; and when it returned and needed a new staff, I decided to jump at the opportunity.

But now, I do much more than just “write” for The Buchtelite. I originally applied to be the Social Media Editor, but was instead chosen to be the Onlne Editor. When I was first given access to the website, it was like being given the keys to a broken down car; it needed a lot of work. But by establishing a vision of what an online paper would look like, as well as a lot of trial and error, a new platform for The Buchtelite was born.

I’m the person behind this website, the one who does all the magic that brings the stories by our writers to you. I’m the creator of the E-Edition, which you should absolutely subscribe to. I’m the sous chef, the troubleshooter and the guy who keeps the lights on. It’s truly been one of my best opportunities.

Sala Wier
Copy Editor

The Buchtelite has some family history for me. In the 90s, my uncle wrote as an editor for the paper. When I came here as a freshman, I would make sure I always picked up a copy on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My uncle and other members of my family encouraged me to write for the paper, but publication was suspended for a brief period of time. When The Buchtelite decided to come back in 2017, I decided to apply as a copy editor. Not only do I have a family history with the paper, but The Buchtelite has so much history in general. It’s great to be a part of something with so much history that has also provided me with such valuable experience.

Megan Parker
Copy Editor

My original plans for college did not include Journalism or anything related to the media until I took a news writing course as a post-secondary student in high school. To be honest, I used to be one of those people who never paid attention to the news unless school was canceling. I don’t know what changed for me or why, but after that news writing course, I just knew that writing for a newspaper had been the thing I could do for the rest of my life. Then, when I came to The University of Akron and found out that there was a student newspaper trying to come back after several shortcomings, I jumped at the opportunity to use my skills. This is why I write for The Buchtelite: because although Journalism is not seen as real trustworthy in society today, I know I am meant to be a part of bringing that trust in the news back.

Amanda Piekarz
Arts & Entertainment Editor

I’ve only been writing for the paper for a year, but my love of newspapers goes way back. When I was young, one of the only memories I have of my grandfather is him holding me on his lap and reading me the Sunday paper. My mother taught me how to read using newspapers. When I was about 11, I began to buy myself a Sunday paper every week. With all of this as a background, it was a natural transition into wanting to write for fun, but also professionally.

About the Contributors
Brooklyn Dennison, Editor-in-Chief

Brooklyn Dennison is majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Women’s Studies and a social media certificate at The University of Akron.
A Best of SNO Award winner, her hobbies include blogging, hanging out with her animals and perusing the AP Stylebook.
Connect with Brooklyn:
editor-in-chief@buchtelite.com
opinion-editor@buchtelite.com

Jake Herron, Online Editor

Jake Herron is majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Mass Media Production and a social media certificate at The University of Akron.
A three-time Best of SNO Award winner, he is a feature writer for The Buchtelite and also oversees online operations for the publication, including its website, social media accounts and the weekly E-Edition. Jake is also a member of WZIP and ZTV.
Connect with Jake:
online-editor@buchtelite.com

Sala Wier, Copy Editor

Sala Wier is majoring in public relations, with a minor in women's studies at The University of Akron. She will be graduating in Spring 2019.
Sala has been a copy editor for The Buchtelite for the past two years and is grateful for the experience it has given her.
Connect with Sala:
copy-editor1@buchtelite.com

Megan Parker, Copy Editor

Megan Parker is majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Public Relations at The University of Akron.
A six-time Best of SNO Award winner, her primary areas of coverage include campus news, accessibility/disability awareness and event previews. After graduating from UA, Megan plans to become a reporter for a small town newspaper before eventually becoming the Editor-in-Chief of her own publication.
Connect with Megan:
copy-editor2@buchtelite.com

Amanda Piekarz, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Amanda Piekarz is an English Major with a Creative Writing minor at The University of Akron.
A Best of SNO award winner, Amanda is an avid creative writer and loves to read. Although she loves Ohio, Amanda was born in New Jersey; and hopes to one day return home and attend graduate school on the east coast.
Connect with Amanda:
arts-entertainment-editor@buchtelite.com

Kristen Lauck, Social Media & Special Editions Editor

Kristen Lauck is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Consumer Marketing at The University of Akron.
Along with her positions at The Buchtelite, she is also an intern for the non-profit Better Future Facilitators and a tutor for Akron Public Schools with the student organization Zips for Akron Hope. In her free time, Kristen enjoys reading, yoga and running.
Connect with Kristen:
social-media-editor@buchtelite.com
special-editions-editor@buchtelite.com