Diamond deli offers fun, filling meals

“Voted Akron’s Best Deli in 2004 and 2007, Diamond Deli’s delicious food and upbeat, friendly atmosphere can make for a great lunch break. Diamond Deli was established more than 50 years ago by Bob Bender, and is known for its creative, gravity defying sandwiches, homemade soups and chili and for having the best corned beef in Akron.”

Voted Akron’s Best Deli in 2004 and 2007, Diamond Deli’s delicious food and upbeat, friendly atmosphere can make for a great lunch break.

Diamond Deli was established more than 50 years ago by Bob Bender, and is known for its creative, gravity defying sandwiches, homemade soups and chili and for having the best corned beef in Akron.

Their two most popular sandwiches are Mom, Come Get Me. I’m Sick, and Zach’s ‘Yeah, Right Dad,’ current owner, Chuck Magiavy, said.

Mom, Come Get Me? I’m Sick, was named after his son, Brett who used to call the shop and ask Magilavy to pick him up from school because he wasn’t feeling good. After Magilavy said stick it out, he would call his mom who always left work to take him home.

Every one of them is named after family, Magilavy said. Every sandwich has a story behind it.

Zach’s ‘Yeah, Right Dad’ is a sandwich piled high with chicken salad, Swiss cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and homemade honey mustard on rye bread. This sandwich is insane, said customer Bria Liberatore.

Their sandwiches are as wide as two notecards and loaded with meat and toppings. The price is very affordable and they even accept Zip Cards.

In the last few years, more Akron students have opted to got to the Diamond Deli for lunch. Almost all of the sports teams support the deli, particulary women’s soccer.

The deli is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is located across from Jimmy John’s on South Main Street.

Come in hungry; you won’t leave disappointed.