Zips ground the Falcons, ready to end the Wolverines streak

No.+3%2C+Saad+Abdul-Salaam+takes+the+ball+through+three+BG+defenders.+

GoZips

No. 3, Saad Abdul-Salaam takes the ball through three BG defenders.

By Tyler Novak, Sports Writer

The Akron Zips opened MAC play in Bowling Green on Saturday, Oct. 11 as they defeated Bowling Green State University in a 1-0 shutout. The Zips improve to 6-4-1, 1-0 in the MAC while the Falcons fall to 9-3, 0-1 in the MAC.

The lone goal of the match came in the 16th minute from an Adam Najem penalty kick.

The Falcons had several scoring opportunities in the first half, but failed to capitalize, as Jake Fenlason for UA stopped three shots and kept the lead for the Zips through halftime.

Bowling Green stepped out of the locker room for the second half energetic, focused and ready to equalize the score as they fired off three shots in the beginning of the second half. Fenlason saved every shot and shutout the game.

During the final 30 minutes of the game, the Zips would look to add to their lead by attacking and shooting seven shots. These shots were all saved or deflected by the BG’s goalie, Ryan Heuton.

The Falcons would rally late in the final two minutes of play, taking a shot and corner kick, but nothing came out of it as Fenlason would carry the team to victory with his tremendous saves.

Akron outshot the Falcons 19-11 and the Zips had seven shots on goal compared to the Falcons six. Fenlason saved six goals in his 90 minutes of action and recorded his fourth shutout of the season. This resulted in Fenlason being rewarded as the MAC Men’s Soccer Player of the Week.

The Zips head back home to face B1G rival, Michigan Tuesday Oct. 14th at 7 p.m. There will be a pregame tailgate at the student lot behind the Spicer Residence Hall beginning at 4 p.m, while the March to the Match begins at 6 p.m.

THE COMPETITION:

Michigan (4-5-2) is heading into Akron on a 3-game winning streak, after defeating Wisconsin 2-1 in OT as well as No. 6 Notre Dame 3-2. Michigan has had a ton of tough competition in their schedule this season and this Zips squad is no easy test especially in Cub Cadet as they hold an undefeated record in the season this far.

LAST MEETING:

UM and UA met last year in Ann Arbor, where the Zips defeated Michigan 2-1. The Zips have won the last two meetings and lead the series over the Wolverines 7-2 dating back to 2006, and including the Zips 2-1 win in the 2010 NCAA Semi-Final Match in the NCAA Tournament.

ZIPS LOOKOUT:

Michigan-

Colin McAtee, a midfielder who was awarded B1G Offensive Player of the Week and College Soccer News’ National Player of the Week is coming off his biggest week of his career, after a huge four-goal performance in wins over #6 Notre Dame and Rutgers. McAtee is second in the B1G in goals and leads the Wolverines with 6 goals this season. Look for McAtees high efficiency attacking to be a major factor against Akron.

Akron-
This week’s MAC Player of the Week, Fenlason, has been the golden savior for the Zips this season. Fenlason has been Akron’s starter in all 10 matches this season, racking up four shutouts, 45 saves, including the six crucial saves against Bowling Green to secure the 1-0 shutout victory. Fenlason also leads the MAC in save percentage with an outstanding .085 and saves per game with 4.64. Look for Fenlason to make a huge impact this week and the remainder of the season as he and the Zips continue their quest for another MAC Championship and yet another NCAA appearance this season.