The editorially independent student voice at The University of Akron since 1889.

Synchronizing passion into career

By Jaclyn Scarborough, Writer

The University of Akron’s School of Music hosted a career day in Guzzetta Recital Hall on Wednesday, Oct. 21 for prospective students, parents, and even current students hoping to change majors.

The day started with a welcome from Ann Usher, director of the School of Music, who presented attendees with information about auditions, scholarships, degree programs, and the myriad career options one can pursue after earning a music degree from UA.

Along with its academic and pre-professional programs, the music school offers students the opportunity to perform with a variety of ensembles on campus, such as the UA Jazz Combo, the Classical Guitar Ensemble, and the Symphonic Band.

Prospective students were allowed to sit in and rehearse with some of the ensembles during the day, giving them a taste of what it is like to be a Zip.

Some of the undergraduate majors currently offered by the School of Music include a Bachelor of Arts in music, music performance, accompanying, choral conducting, wind conducting, composition, and music education. UA offers graduate degrees in music as well.

The school is presently participating in an All-Steinway campaign, in which the goal is to have Steinway pianos exclusively in all classrooms and performances.  

Many UA alumni have gone on to have successful careers after graduating from UA, including the late jazz pianist Andy Michalec, a very talented musical force in the jazz community. He even performed at some of the famous jazz clubs in New York City.  

Michalec’s cousin Michael attended the career day at the School of Music, and said, “My cousin Andy was a fixture in Guzzetta while he was here. He loved the School of Music, and UA really helped him develop his talent and become a success in the jazz world. He was an amazing musician.”      

For more information on what the music school has to offer, or for upcoming concert information at Guzzetta Hall, visit www.uakron/music.