Women's soccer winning streak snapped

Written by: Sartaj Aujla

The UA women’s soccer team was unable to keep up with Marshall as they were routed by the Thundering Herd on Sunday, 2-0.

The Zips came into the game off back-to-back shutout wins against Cleveland State and Canisius and hoped to build to a three-game winning streak, but were halted by Marshall.

The Zips fall to 4-3-0 for the season, while Marshall reaches the .500 mark and improves to 4-4-0.

Marshall also gained the advantage in shots (18-10) and corner kicks (11-5) against the Zips.

“For us, it was more of what we could have done better,” interim head coach Vernon Croft said. “We got beat. We didn’t do what we needed to do to be successful in this game.”

Marshall ultimately ended up being the only team to find the scoreboard, as the match’s first point was made by Marshall’s Kelly Culicerto, ten minutes into first-half play.

Akron tried to muster up some offensive drives before the first half expired, but ultimately Marshall’s defense proved too fearsome, as the half ended with two missed shots near the goal for the Zips. The score stayed at 1-0, Marshall.

The Zips returned to the field for the second half determined not to give the game to Marshall.

Marshall, however, returned stronger for the second half, as eight minutes into the half they improved their lead to 2-0 with a shot made by the Thundering Herd’s Alyssa Cathy.

The Zips tried to initiate a comeback after the second goal, but were shut out for the rest of second-half play, and were handed their third loss of the season.

Coach Croft knows his team needs to become more competitive from start to finish.

“We need to continue to get competitive,” coach Croft said. “We’ve been in some games, and we’ve been out of some games. Keeping competitive will be key for the rest of the season.”

The season will begin to heat up when Akron starts Mid-American Conference play this Friday, as the Akron Zips travel to Oxford, Ohio to face the Miami RedHawks at 4 p.m.