Sympson's sports view

Written by: Matt Sympson

It was another exciting weekend in the world of professional and college sports.

Akron Football

The Zips were able to keep up with Tennessee for the majority of the football game. Even though they came up a couple of touchdowns short, fans can still be proud of their hard fought battle.

When they tied the game at 23, things looked optimistic and was a hard blow when they lost falling to 1-3 for the season. The football team is definitely showing improvement from last year and are beginning to compete in games without getting blown out.

The zips football team returns home and begins MAC play against Miami (Ohio) this Saturday. It’s so important that they come out and get a win against a team in their conference. A win against a MAC opponent would mean a lot.

Hopes are high for a large crowd to fill the stadium on Saturday that will help cheer on and support our football team.

Men’s Soccer

It was great to see the men’s soccer team grab another victory over the weekend against MAC opponent Buffalo and improve to 5-1-2. They look like they’re on their way to another solid season and hopefully another national championship. Hopefully their success will continue on Friday, when they host Florida Atlantic.

Professional Football

The Browns lost to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday and fell to 0-3. Brandon Weeden is a solid quarterback, but his receivers really need to learn to catch. Fans could actually lose count of how many passes they dropped. The Browns also need to convert third downs if they want to start winning. Their schedule doesn’t get any easier, as they have a short week ahead of them and face the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night.

It was so disappointing to see the Steelers lose to the Raiders. Their defense played awesome, but more importantly, they committed way too many turnovers. Maybe the worst part of the game was Mike Tomlin’s failure to call a timeout before Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski kicked the game-winning field goal. The Steelers have a bye week coming up, so they’ll have plenty of time to think about the loss.

Go Zips!