Local university professor with ties to Cairo explains Middle Eastern culture to UA Army ROTC cadets

On Jan. 25, The University of Akron Army Reserve Officer Training Corp proudly introduced local University Professor Eihab Abousena, who graduated from the University of Cairo in Egypt, to explain some history and describe the Middle Eastern culture through his own personal experience and how distinct it is from the culture in the United States.

In the United States Army, it is important for soldiers to learn about different cultures that are alien to American society. As future Army officers, it is essential training for establishing friendly relationships overseas. The long-term goal for the United States Military is to win the hearts and minds of civilians across the world.

The future leaders listened as Abousena taught the cadets about Middle Eastern society and the history of the region, as well as current event and issues, including the unrest in Cairo, Egypt. 

As a future Army Leader in the United States military, it is important to stay current with world events. It is also important to understand history and how certain traditions and and systems shape the world and make these individual nations the way they are today. 

The University Of Akron Army ROTC honors and appreciates the time that  Abousenagave to help teach our future leaders.  The lecture has helped give a better understanding for these students and teach them how to create better relationships with other nations around the world. 

As a practical exercise, the junior cadets were trained by the senior leadership, which included reacting to a local village, foreign police and an enemy surrender.  The junior cadets, who led the sophomore and freshmen cadets, were in charge in reacting to these variables. These variables were developed in order to give the cadets hands-on experience with reacting in a foreign environment.

” #1.2000598:2645295120.JPG:Professor Eihab Abousena:Eihab Abousena, a professor at a local university, spoke to the UA Army ROTC cadets about Middle Eastern culture. Knowledge about different cultures help future officers establish friendly relationships overseas.:John Flegal”