Sympson's sports view: football, volleyball, men's soccer

Written by: Matt Sympson

It was a WILD weekend in Akron sports… just in case you were wondering!

With so many of our teams playing at home, it was a very eventful three days.

Akron football

One word describes this football game to me: ridiculous. I’m not sure which was more ridiculous, though: our defense, or the officiating.

Our defense was pitiful.

We couldn’t keep any containment on the quarterback, and he probably rushed for at least 20 yards every time.

Our cornerbacks continually got beaten by wide receivers, and our secondary was just plain bad.

But as bad as our defense played, nothing was worse than the officiating.

The NFL must have sent the replacement refs from the last week’s Monday night game to Akron, because there were so many terrible penalties, including two late hit calls against us in the fourth quarter that allowed Miami to score on us and take their final lead.

During that drive, it seemed like we got flagged for every tackle.

Overall, it was a frustrating game that Akron should have won.

But due to poor officiating and poor defense, we drop to 1-4.

The fans shared my pain in the bleachers; there was yelling at the refs and a lot of booing.

At the end of the game, when the refs were escorted off the field, the stadium was filled with boos.

It was a terrific game, but one with a bad outcome.  I hope we can get back on track and get our first MAC win of the season against Bowling Green next weekend.

Volleyball

I thought our volleyball team played well on Friday, even though we lost the first couple of sets. I admired the Zips’ dedication to get the ball over the net and to work as a team. I only stayed for the first two sets, but I was proud of our volleyball team for fighting back and making some terrific spikes. I was very impressed.

Men’s Soccer

It was awesome to see our men’s soccer team dominate on Saturday night and grab another win.

All of the fans were really into the game and the few students that were standing in the student section were into the game as well.

Akron’s 4-0 win is what I call a blow out win in soccer.

I hope they continue this success next weekend and am hoping we grab another win and move closer to a national championship.

It was a crazy weekend of sports, but it was so much fun.

One of the best weekend of Akron sports I’ve witnessed in a while.

While I do believe our football team got jipped, it was great to see our soccer team come out strong.  I look forward to what’s in store next weekend in the world of Akron sports

Go Zips!