Zips hope to hunt down Bowling Greens Falcons

Written by: D.J. Johnson

The Akron Zips find themselves in a similar place to last season, with just one win within the first five weeks.

Though much has changed on and off the field, only a victory will pull the Zips out of the basement of college football.

“Another week, another opportunity to get a win,” said head coach Terry Bowden.

Saturday will provide Bowden’s team that chance, as Bowling Green (2-3, 0-1 MAC) comes to InfoCision Stadium. Both teams will be fighting for their first conference win of the season.

“I just want to win a game,” Bowden said. “I expect our team to be ready to go and play a great ballgame.”

The Bowling Green Falcons have seen opposite sides of the spectrum throughout the first five weeks.

Their two wins were against teams with a combined record of 0-9, but their three losses were to Florida, Toledo and Virginia Tech.

As the Zips try to bounce back from the 56-49 loss to the Miami RedHawks last Saturday, Bowling Green is in search of a second straight victory after trouncing Rhode Island 48-8.

A Falcon defense that only allowed a single touchdown will try to contain an offense that scored seven touchdowns a week ago.

The Zips have often relied on the arm of quarterback Dalton Williams, who ranks third in the nation in total passing yards (1,679). He is also fifth in the country in touchdown passes, with 14.

Last week, Williams got help from his running game. Sophomore Jawon Chisholm returned to last year’s form with 156 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.

For all that has gone right for the Zips offense, an equal amount has gone wrong for the defense.

“That’s what this game is all about right now: getting one more touchdown than the other guy,” Bowden said.

Allowing over 41 points a game, the Akron defense seemingly could not get a stop during last weekend’s game against the RedHawks.

A balanced offensive attack for the Falcons will once again try to expose the Zips.

Three-year starter Matt Schilz will be looking to duplicate last week’s 20-27, two-touchdown-pass performance.

Sophomore running back Anthon Samuel has scored seven times while averaging 5.5 yards per carry.

“Defenses are one step behind,” Bowden said.

The inter-conference match-up was last played in 2009, which the Falcons won 36-20.

Saturday’s kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.