Men's soccer dismantles Florida

Written by: Zack West

The No. 7 University of Akron men’s soccer team took down another MAC opponent Saturday by dismantling Florida Atlantic 5-0.

The chilly October weather and light rain did not deter the Zips (7-1-2, 3-0-0 MAC) from scoring five goals.

Junior Eric Stevenson scored two goals along with Reinaldo Brenes. It was the fifth goal in two games for Brenes, who is a recent starter.

Both of Stevenson’s goals came in the first half and got the Zips off to a fast start. Brenes scored his first goal in the ninth minute off of an assist by DeAndre Yedlin.

Brenes’ second goal came in the second half, along with a goal by freshman Dillon Serna.

“The performance today showed how hungry this team is,” said head coach Caleb Porter. “It shows how professional they’re approaching each game.”

The Zips’ defense has been the story as of late. For the second game in a row, the back line showed their grit by not giving up a shot on goal and by recording the fifth shutout in a row. They have only allowed three goals the entire season.

“Championship teams defend well, and we’re defending very well,” Porter said.

The Zips will be on the road for the next two games. They face Penn State tomorrow and Northern Illinois on Oct. 13.