Health Professions provides new approach

Written by: Marcus Nicholson

This year, The University of Akron has added the College of Health Professions to its list of available health care programs.

The College of Health Professions is designed to bring students an educational and collaborative approach to health care, according to the college’s website.

“The concept for the convergence of different health professions on the campus started four years ago, but it was not officially created until September of 2011, and it started July of 2012,” said Dr. Roberta DePompei, the dean of the College of Health Professions. “The convergence gapped because health care demands an inter-professional approach. We wanted to create that for the students so when they are employed, they already have experience in collaboration.”

The College of Health Professions is divided into four schools: nursing; social work; speech-language pathology and audiology; and nutrition and dietetics. There is also a program for students who are interested in becoming a child life specialist.

The new approach lets students enter an environment where they can practice their field of study. It also brings their fields of study to the classroom.  In class, students can get a clinical experience where they get to practice with other  students and professionals. They have the ability to connect with major health corporations

like the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, the Summa Health System and Akron’s Children’s Hospital.

The college had tables set up in the Student Union last Thursday.

“They had a marketplace where students were able to come and ask questions, find out why you would like to join one of the schools in the college, and just give people a better understanding of it,” DePompei said.

One of the reasons that the college was able to come together so well is the solid graduation rate.

“We graduate 90 percent (of students) within the first five years,” DePompei said.

Senior nursing student Jane Lau said that the experience with the College of Health Professions can help students after college.

“I can appreciate the concept behind the College of Health Professions and how it is important for different majors to begin collaboration because that will happen in the real world,” she said.

Lau also said that respitory therapy and physical therapy should be included in the college.

“Based on my experience I see where there can be an improvement with communication between nursing and those two,” Lau said.

For more information on the the College of Health Professions, visit uakron.edu/health.