Enlarged government takes power out of our hands

“Last week President Barack Obama’s Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, was caught saying that energy prices were too low in the United States. In referring to the American automakers in respect to fuel prices he said, They never invested in both alternative energy cars.”

Last week President Barack Obama’s Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, was caught saying that energy prices were too low in the United States. In referring to the American automakers in respect to fuel prices he said, They never invested in both alternative energy cars. They got dependent on big gas guzzlers. They have a health care cost structure that’s outdated. He is exactly right in his analysis of these companies, but that is not the problem. The problem lies in the fact that he is even dealing with these companies in the first place. There is no reason why he or the president should be getting involved with any type of private enterprise, whether huge conglomerate banks or the corner 7-11.

In his statement, Emanuel is implying that somehow the government needs to artificially increase energy prices in order to force the American car companies into developing new alternative-fuel technology and getting away from the large trucks and SUVs that have made them successful over the past 15 years. This concept goes against every ideal that free-market economics is built upon. The market is never stimulated by government intervention, they are only held down by it. In turn, these mandates from the government are only going to hurt the auto makers instead of help them.

What needs to be done by the government? Absolutely nothing. The only role the government plays is a protector of the transactions that take place between consumers and producers. Consumers will tell producers what they want to be produced, and producers will make those products because they see them as profitable and viable. If there is little or no demand for a certain good, than producers aren’t going to spend millions upon millions of dollars in research and development on a product that isn’t going to be profitable for them.

When the government artificially inflates energy prices, they, not consumers, force the auto makers to produce cars that cost them millions to develop. When the time comes for consumers to buy the products, the auto makers can’t sell them because there was never any true demand for the product in the first place.

This is yet another instance of how an overshadowing and enlarged government is always detrimental to the welfare of everyone. The market, now, is not swayed by the consumer’s willingness to pay for a good, but rather the market is being swayed by the shoving of over-reaching and tyrannical bureaucrats who feel their agendas are more important than the everyday citizen’s.

Look simply at the green movement. Al Gore has waved his magic wand and convinced lawmakers across the globe to start legislating provisions against the farce called global warming. Even though there are no facts to support that global warming exists, lawmakers are determining that we as Americans must give our tax dollars to spend on green projects that lower our carbon emissions. Al Gore also wants to start taxing people on the size of their carbon footprint, which he has somehow deduced to be the culprit of all of the polar bears getting suntans. Though he has no proof, he has made a moral decision that his views trump the other 300 million people in this country.

Where are the limitations on government? Where are the checks and balances that are supposed to keep politicians honest? We need to start making politicians realize that what we want is the power back in our own hands. We want to make the decisions for ourselves, not have them made for us as if we are toddlers. Our culture is known as the melting pot because we are a nation of immigrants. Those immigrants all realized that personal liberty was the greatest possession they could ever attain, and that liberty is what makes this nation so great. Don’t be so fickle as to give away our liberties to the wind as the fear-mongering continues from Washington.