Women's soccer wins season finale

Written by: Sartaj Aujla

After a tough season, Akron’s women’s soccer team was able to sign off the year with an overtime win against Buffalo, 2-1.

Akron’s overall record for the 2012 season was at 6-11-1, with a 2-8-1 record in the Mid-American Conference.

“We wanted to continue to play with pride and toughness against Buffalo to close the season,” interim head coach Vernon Croft said.

Unfortunately, the Zips were unable to make it to the MAC Tournament this year, though they were able to the last three years.

Thursday’s game against Buffalo was the Zips’ last game of the season.

Although they could have called it a day and not competed, they brought their A-game to end the season on a high note.

Both the Zips and the Bulls struggled to find offensive rhythms in the first half.

Akron held the advantage in shots in the first half, but was unable to convert those shots into points.

The match remained scoreless as the teams headed into the locker rooms at the end of the first half.

Akron was desperate to find their rhythm, and wanted to avoid closing their season on a sour note.

Both teams struggled to find goals for the majority of the second half, but that changed in the game’s closing minutes.

Buffalo beat the Zips to the scoreboard with a penalty kick by Stephanie Velez in the 72nd minute.

Akron answered with a point of their own six minutes later with a goal by Ashley Hughes.

Both the Zips and the Bulls tried to wrap up the game with another goal before the end of the second half, but neither team could get a drive going, and the game sailed into overtime.

Akron’s momentum continued. Just a minute into overtime play, Kelly DeNiro capitalized on a free kick to close the game and secure a 2-1 victory over the Buffalo Bulls.

The Zips were able to end the season with a win, but were unable to get into the MAC Tournament.

The 2012 season was difficult for the Zips.

Coach Vernon Croft believes that their 6-11-1 record does not represent the team.

Nine of their games they lost by only one goal. The one-goal losses piling up really disheartened the team as the season went on.

The team will evaluate the 2012 season and hopefully come back next year ahead of the competition.