Obama's plan for education reform

“The United States school system has been steadily decreasing in performance levels, compared to the rest of the world, over the years. On Tuesday, President Barack Obama delivered a speech where he announced his controversial plans regarding the future of education.”

The United States school system has been steadily decreasing in performance levels, compared to the rest of the world, over the years.

On Tuesday, President Barack Obama delivered a speech where he announced his controversial plans regarding the future of education. This plan will hopefully raise American students out the scholastic slump they have fallen into.

He proposed three main ideas: teacher merit pay, no restrictions on charter schools and longer school days and years.

Despite the controversy that surrounds these topics, Obama’s proposals will benefit students in the public education systems, and by looking closer at each one it is easy to see that.

The first topic he addressed was a teacher merit pay, which is a great idea.

Teacher merit pay would allow teachers that have students with good scores to make more money than those that don’t.

By rewarding the ones that are doing excellent, it will encourage the others to do better in preparing their students for the material that needs to be covered.

All too often there are just too many teachers that couldn’t care less about actually helping and educating students. They go to work to just for a paycheck. The scary thing is, these teachers are often in the poorer areas, where a good education is vital to moving up the social ladder.

Although, just because a students aren’t doing well, doesn’t always mean the teacher doesn’t care. Often they may not have proper classroom techniques, and for this Obama should allow these teachers to take extra classes to help improve their teaching.

The next topic covered in the speech was charter schools.

A charter school is a publicly funded school that operates independently and often does not have some of the rules that public schools carry.

Obama believes that these schools are beneficial and he won’t put a state limit on them. He says that if state limits are put in place that won’t be good for our children, our economy or our country.

Not all students perform to their fullest potential in a typical public school classroom. In order for them to perform well, they may need an unorthodox setting.

This topic is controversial because some people say the charter schools redirect tax dollars from regular public schools.

While tax funding is important, it’s not the money that makes students’ educational experience meaningful, it’s the teacher.

The reason schools that have more money perform well is because they are able to hire better teachers, it’s not necessarily books and equipment they can purchase.

If teachers have a merit incentive, they will want to perform better for increased pay. So, in the end, it won’t matter if the tax dollars are split between both regular and charter schools, because teachers are going to want their students to perform well.

The last thing that was discussed in his speech was making the school day and year longer.

Being a future educator, it’s hard to admit that less vacation time will be a good thing, but in all honesty it will help the students.

We have become a nation that wants to do things the easy way, and that is not always the best. American students have fallen behind in the world when it comes to education.

If America wants to remain a strong nation we need future generations to be intelligent and not lazy.

Obama’s proposed ideas will allow America’s future generations to become more educated.

Without our country being better educated, jobs will always be unstable along with the economy. Education is ultimately one of the saving sources for this nation. That is why it is so important that we have president that can see that, thankfully we do.