Our View

“Recently The University of Akron’s President Luis Proenza was rewarded with an $85,000 performance payments. He received this reward because the board of trustees believe that he is doing very good job as president of the university. This isn’t the only raise in payment he has received this year.”

Recently The University of Akron’s President Luis Proenza was rewarded with an $85,000 performance payments.

He received this reward because the board of trustees believe that he is doing very good job as president of the university.

This isn’t the only raise in payment he has received this year. In January, he was also rewarded $25,000 for reaching seven one-year goals.

Between these two increases his current pay has reached a staggering $535,000. This is on top of everything else the university provides for him.

This seems a bit extreme.

We agree that Proenza has been doing well as president, is taking his job seriously and deserves to receive a reward, but in times of economic hardships, these raises seem a bit over-the-top.

It seems like there are other places this money could be going.

Or, if the board still wanted to reward Proenza with money, perhaps the amount could be a little less.

This amount just seems a bit much with the economy we are living in.

In the future, the board may want to consider rewarding the Proenza in other ways than money.

In this economy it doesn’t look good for this amount of money to be handed out.