Sympson's sports view

Written by: Matt Sympson

It was a busy weekend in Akron sports. Our football team fell to The University of Massachusetts on Saturday, our men’s basketball team fell to Coastal Carolina, and our men’s soccer team won the MAC Tournament.

Akron football

All I can say is: wow! It was such a disappointment to come up short again.

Our Zips lost to the Minutemen to fall to 1-10 on the season.

One of the main reasons I thought we lost was turnovers.

You can’t throw four interceptions in a game and expect to win; it won’t happen.

Quarterback Dalton Williams threw one of his passes off of his back foot. I  couldn’t believe it.

Our Zips are now in jeopardy of dropping to 1-11 for a third straight season on  Tuesday, Nov. 20, when they face the Toledo Rockets on the road.

It’s been a disappointing season, and the loss on Saturday was such a shocker.

I hope, though, that we can make corrections in the off-season and come back next year to get a second victory.

Men’s Soccer

Congratulations to the men’s soccer team on winning the MAC Tournament.

It was a chilly evening, but it was well worth it to watch our soccer team come out and earn a 2-0 win against the Bowling Green Falcons.

It was entertaining to watch them come one step closer to a national  championship.

I hope they continue this success in the NCAA Tournament and bring home another national championship.

Our players are a big spotlight in the news, and we’re showing how assertive we can be.

I’m hoping we can continue our success in the NCAA Tournament, because we need something to be happy about in the world of sports here at The  University of Akron.

Men’s basketball

The men’s basketball team tipped off the season against Coastal Carolina on Friday.

Unfortunately, they began the season with a loss, and we start the season off 0-1.

I hope this isn’t an omen of a long losing season, but just a minor bump in the road.

I think they can rebound in a couple of days.

To me, it was only one game, and I know that head coach Keith Dambrot has the team under control.

Let’s continue to support them, enjoy the season, and hopefully we can make it into the second round of the NCAA Tournament!

It was such an exciting weekend, especially for our men’s soccer team.

I’m very proud of them, and I know that the best is yet to come.

What a great way to say goodbye to head coach Caleb Porter.

We are all so proud of the work he has done for our soccer team!

Go Zips!