Akron hosts annual pool tournament

” The University of Akron Student Union Game Room is hosting the 11th Annual Barry Lefkowitz Scholarship Pool Championship. The event will be held Saturday, March 28, 2009 in the Student Union Game Room. It is named after Barry Lefkowitz, who is completely funding it.”

The University of Akron Student Union Game Room is hosting the 11th Annual Barry Lefkowitz Scholarship Pool Championship.

The event will be held Saturday, March 28, 2009 in the Student Union Game Room.

It is named after Barry Lefkowitz, who is completely funding it.

Lefkowitz is an alum of the University of Akron who loved playing pocket billiards while he was a student.

In fact, he was the men’s University of Akron Pocket Billiards champion his junior and senior years.

Lefkowitz funds the foundation that paid for the billiard side of the game room.

He wants to give students who share his love of billiards a chance to fund their education, so he established a scholarship and decided to award it to the winners of a pool tournament.

Scholarships will be awarded in the amounts of $1,000, $500, and $250 respectively.

Lefkowitz is using a special format that will give beginners and advanced players an equal chance at winning.

The game that will be played is nine-ball and any student may participate as long as they are carrying a minimum of six credit hours.