Men's basketball loses season-opener

Written by: Sartaj Aujla

Akron was unable to start the season with a win. The Zips lost a tough game to Coastal Carolina on Friday night, 74-70.

The odds were against the them, as players Nick Harney and Demetrius Treadwell were unable to make the trip on Friday due to an institutional clerical compliance error.

Coastal Carolina scored the game’s first points when Chanticleer Kierre Greenwood put up a lead of 3-0.

The Zips were able to lead 11 minutes later, 14-16, with a layup from Alex Abreu. They kept the lead and finished the first half 30-34.

At the start of the third quarter, Anthony Raffa sent up a three to put Coastal Carolina in the lead, 36-34.

Zips Alex Abreu and Brian Walsh were able to get the lead back, 46-48.

The game continued to be fierce. No team trailed by more than three points.

The Chanticleers led for the majority of the half, and it looked like Coastal Carolina was ready to wrap the game up with an early win. They led 61-59 after Reggie McAdams delivered a three from the corner.

However, Alex Abreu would deliver for the Zips before time expired. He was able to draw a foul with only a minute left in the half, and made both free throws to tie the game at 61-61. The game went into overtime.

The Zips came up short when Chanticleer Anthony Raffa sealed the game with only two seconds left, 74-70.

The Chanticleers held the advantage in field goals with 44.8 percent to Akron’s 37.5 percent. They also held the advantage in rebounds, 40-36.

Chanticleer Anthony Raffa led the game with 27 points. Abreu led the Zips with 14 points.

The Zips will try to open up at home on a good note when they host John Carroll on Nov. 12 at 7:00 p.m.