Sympson's sports view

Written by: Matt Sympson

Our football team falls to the Toledo Rockets and drops to 1-11 on the season, our men’s basketball team gets set to play Middle Tennessee on Sunday, our soccer team falls and the Browns stun the Steelers with a 20-14 victory on Sunday.

Akron football

This entire season for me has been quite disheartening. With our football team going 1-11 for the third straight season, I’m sure Akron students are upset and less hopeful than in the beginning of the season when we first hired head coach Terry Bowden.

I watched that game last Tuesday night, and I just couldn’t believe that we lost.

When we went for the fake field goal instead of kicking an actual field goal, I was pretty upset. I’m hoping that a lot of changes will be made this off-season, and that we can finally end our streak of one-win seasons next year.

Men’s basketball

Our men’s basketball team will resume play this Sunday when they face Middle Tennessee.

Our basketball team has a record of 3-2, and will try to improve it on Sunday. I think even though they’ve started off this season slow, they are picking up the pace, and are meeting the expectations that many people are expecting them to meet.

Hopefully they can win on Sunday and improve their record to 4-2 on the season.

Men’s soccer

Our men’s soccer team lost to Creighton in a heartbreaking shootout on Sunday.

It’s definitely not fun to fight so hard, make it this far, and lose in a shootout. I’m still proud of our soccer team, and I’m proud of head coach Caleb Porter who has done a tremendous job in his final season here.

I wish him the best of luck as he will now depart for for Major League Soccer.

I was excited to see our soccer team do so well in my final semester, and I know that the successor of Porter will do just as well.

Hopefully our soccer team can come back next year and win that national championship.

Great season men!

Professional football

Possibly the biggest news in professional football on Sunday was the Browns beating the Steelers.

As a Steelers fan, I was very disappointed to lose to the Browns and fall to 6-5 on the season.

I felt the Steelers played very poorly and deserved to lose that game.

You can’t win a football game after you turn the ball over eight times. It won’t happen.

I hope Ben Roethlisberger comes back and helps earn the Steelers a win against the Baltimore Ravens next weekend.

It was a disappointing day, but I give no excuses to the Steelers loss. The Browns won that game fair and square.

I look forward to when both teams meet again on Dec. 30, this time at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. I’m hoping Roethlisberger will be back and healthy.

I think the Steelers best chance to beat the Browns will be on that day, and hopefully it will happen.

I’m looking forward to a fun men’s basketball season, and hoping we get back to the NCAA tournament also known as March Madness, and finally make it to the next round.

I have faith that head coach Keith Dambrot will get our team where we need to go. I’ll be attending the basketball games as often as I can.

Go Zips!