Begging is the new cool thing

“If you know me, talk to me or even have ever been within a 50 foot radius of me, you are probably aware that I am going to Europe in May for a 6-week post grad adventure before taking up the mundane life of a starving law student. Being the ultimate tourist (and also extremely excited), I’ve been pouring through any book, blog or site that will even attempt to provide me with an insider hint, especially on saving money.”

If you know me, talk to me or even have ever been within a 50 foot radius of me, you are probably aware that I am going to Europe in May for a 6-week post grad adventure before taking up the mundane life of a starving law student.

Being the ultimate tourist (and also extremely excited), I’ve been pouring through any book, blog or site that will even attempt to provide me with an insider hint, especially on saving money. A $2500-or ?1900-budget isn’t exactly going to afford me any luxury.

So when I saw an article on NYTimes.com to do Europe for ?5 a day, I was intrigued-and slightly worried that I was going crazy.

I shouldn’t have worried. The Frugal Traveler, a blogger that somehow makes a living telling people who read the New York Times how to travel cheaply, interviewed a man who has become famous-or infamous-for surviving on 5 of whatever the local currency is. For example, when Leon Logothetis traveled across the United States, he did it on an incredible $5 a day.

He didn’t leave me in suspense for long. His opening statement? When you travel with that kind of money, you are entirely at the mercy of strangers…$5 a day doesn’t get you anywhere.

Well, no kidding.

What I couldn’t understand, however, was why the New York Times was giving this idiot publicity. He’s already got his own reality TV show on-you guessed it-the Fox Reality Channel, but give me a break. The (arguably) best newspaper in the country applauding this begging loser for mooching and then bragging about it? I made my way back to the main page, annoyed that I hadn’t learned anything new.

And that’s when I saw it: more news regarding the auto bailout, GM insisting they needed more money. The Phillip Morris cigarette case loomed in the shadows, a smokey $75.9 million lighting up from it. The entire state of Massachusetts was sold on bringing up the name of Madoff again in a new attempt to get more money. I didn’t see it, but I’m sure AIG was in there somewhere.

This is ridiculous. Perhaps we should respect this guy-after all, he’s just being proactive in getting as much out of people as he possibly can, like everyone else is doing. Let’s just push the stupid American stereotype farther-it’s now the greedy stupid American.

Poor Obama.

Let’s hope he makes it through the G-20 alive–without asking the rest of the world for more money.