Breaking NFL records

Matthew Balsinger

Every football season in the NFL, there is a player poised to set a new record. This past season Calvin Johnson was that man, setting a new record for total reception yards per season. With the increasing focus on quarterback and wide receiver performance in the league, it’s no surprise that a season reception yard record would eventually be broken. However, there are several NFL records that simply will never be broken. This list is of the Buchtelite’s top five.

Most Games 30 Points or More, Career: 2, Paul Hornung 1965

Yes, that’s right; in order to beat this record, you not only have to personally score 30 points in one game, but you also have to do it three times in your career. It’s important to note that this record can only be set by non-passing touchdowns, which thus excludes most quarterbacks. It also helps that Hornung not only played wide receiver, but also halfback and placekicker. Since he played three offensive scoring positions, it’s no wonder Hornung set the record and, in all likelihood, that it will never be broken.

Most Consecutive Road Victories: 18, San Francisco 49ers

This record may not seem impressive at first glance, but it is almost impossible to break in today’s NFL. In order to break this record any given team would have to win every away game for at least two straight seasons, as well as one game in a third season. With the constant player shuffling that happens in the NFL, and the home field advantage, this is a highly unlikely feat to overcome.

Consecutive Starts by a Quarterback: Brett Favre, 256

This is an absolutely unbelievable feat; after starting in Sept. 1992, Favre started every single game until the 2007 season. It’s hard to believe that any quarterback will last in the NFL for 15 years, let alone start every single game in that time frame. This makes Brett Favre’s consecutive starts record one of the most unlikely records to beat.

Most Consecutive Championship Games: 10, Otto Graham, Cleveland Browns

This might be a surprise to many readers, but the Cleveland Browns are considered to be the second-most successful franchise in NFL history when it comes to championships, and this is in large part due to the 1940s and 50s team led by quarterback Otto Graham. (The most successful team is the Green Bay Packers, who have been to 15 championships and won 10; the Browns have been to 11 and won eight.) Out of the 10 championship visits by Graham, seven were wins. With how the league is set up today, it isn’t likely that this record will ever be beaten by any one team or quarterback.